Kerala has 43 beaches lining its expansive 580 km coastline, making the quest for the Best Beaches in Kerala a delightful challenge, especially for first-time visitors.
Searching for the best beaches in the Kerala to visit this year? Look no further.
As summer approaches, picture yourself surrounded by golden sands, clear waters, and azure skies. Best Beaches in Kerala offer a tropical paradise that rivals the Caribbean, complete with palm trees, white sands, and turquoise waters.
ALSO SEE – Goa or Kerala-Where should I visit?
Forget the long wait for balmy temperatures – Kerala’s sun-kissed spots make every moment worthwhile, offering a beach experience that suits all your summer holiday dreams. From Varkala’s majestic chalky cliffs to Asia’s longest drive-in beach at Muzhappilangad, you’ll find rare gems that set these beaches apart.
No need to worry about the weather; Kerala’s beaches bask in year-round sunshine, ensuring a fantastic time whether rain or shine. If you’re seeking an undiscovered gem this summer, we’ve got you covered. Our carefully curated list unveils the Top 10 best beaches in Kerala, promising an unforgettable experience.
ALSO SEE – Best Beach Resorts in Kerala (UPDATED)
We’ve done the hard work for you and whittled down the Top 10 best beaches in the Kerala.
The period from September to March emerges as the prime window for a coastal journey and April to May are the months for people who like hottest Sun. Kerala’s beaches adorn themselves in vibrant greenery, creating a captivating spectacle exclusively for you.
These are the best Kerala beaches – in our humble opinion.
Join us on this coastal adventure and explore what we consider to be the very best Kerala beaches – a perfect blend of nature’s wonders and serene beauty.
Top 10 Best Beaches in Kerala
1. Kovalam Beach
Kovalam Beach in the No 1 Beach in Kerala.
Kovalam is situated approximately 12 km southeast of Trivandrum, stands out as the most popular and developed beach in Kerala. It attracts a diverse range of visitors, both domestic and international, with a significant influx from Europe and Israel.
Comprising three distinct coves – Lighthouse Beach, Hawah Beach, and Samudra Beach – Kovalam offers an enticing landscape.
You can casually walk from one end to the other, which takes around an hour. This gives you plenty of time to check out each cove and enjoy the surroundings. You can also indulge in pit stops to rejuvenate along the way.
You’ll find a perfect blend of natural beauty, safety, and activities suitable for all ages, making it an ideal family-friendly destination in Kerala.
ALSO SEE – Top 7 Best Things to do in Kovalam
Best things to do near Kovalam Beach
- Visit German Bakery – Kickstart your day at the German Bakery with various pastries, bread, and coffee with a side of beach vibes.
- Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Ashram – Participate in yoga and meditation sessions to rejuvenate your mind, body, and soul.
- Vizhinjam Village – Explore the charm of vibrant local life and fishing community.
- Vellayani Lake – take in the scenic paradise at Vellayani Lake, surrounded by lush greenery.
- Vizhinjam Marine Aquarium – Explore marine wonders at the Vizhinjam Marine Aquarium, which has a diverse collection of marine life.
- Lighthouse Beach – Relax on the sandy shores of Lighthouse Beach, the most famous stretch of Kovalam.
- Karamana River – Enjoy a boat ride or soak in the peaceful surroundings of this scenic river.
Location: Thiruvananthapuram district, Kerala
How to reach Kovalam Beach?
The closest airport to Kovalam Beach is Thiruvananthapuram International Airport, which is approximately 15 km away. You can take a road journey to reach Kovalam from the airport.
Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway Station is the nearest railhead, about 13 km from the beach. Kovalam is well-connected by road, accessible via National Highway 66.
ALSO SEE – Best Beaches Near Trivandrum
2. Varkala Beach
Varkala Beach, also known as Papanasham Beach, is located just 4 km from Varkala Town in Thiruvananthapuram.
Varkala in Thiruvananthapuram is often compared to Goa by travel enthusiasts and tourists.
This is the only beach in southern Kerala where you can find cliff right next to the Arabian Sea. The cliffs are a geological monument as recorded by the Geological Survey of India.
ALSO SEE – Top 10 Best Resorts in Varkala (With Photos)
Varkala Beach is the longest beach in Kerala and offers everything that Kovalam Beach does but with a less crowded atmosphere and striking scenery. This makes it an ideal choice for those who prefer peaceful beaches or honeymoon couples seeking a calm and romantic setting. You can enjoy time with your special someone, watch the sunset, and take a leisurely walk along the beach.
You can take a dip in the beach water, which is known for its natural springs and medicinal properties. In Malayalam, Papanasham is referred to as “sin destroyer” and has a deep connection with ancestor worship.
Best things to do near Varkala Beach
- Water Sports – Couples can engage in activities like parasailing, surfing, or taking a leisurely boat ride, adding a bit of adventure to their romantic getaway.
- Varkala Culture Center – If you’re into soaking up culture, don’t miss out on checking out the Varkala Culture Center.
- Anjengo Fort and Lighthouse – you can’t miss the historic vibes at Anjengo Fort and a peaceful view at Lighthouse.
- Shopping and street food – Explore vibrant charm by indulging in delightful shopping and savouring delicious street food along its lively streets.
- Some other places to visit – Ponnumthuruthu Island, Kappil Beach for yoga, Varkala Aquarium, Janardhana Swami Temple, artsy Kilimanoor Palace, and Varkala Cliff for a fancy picnic view.
Varkala has it all for you. You can even take a special trip to visit Varkala Beach.
Location: Varkala, Thiruvananthapuram District, Kerala
ALSO SEE- Top 10 Things to do in Varkala
How to reach Varkala Beach
The most convenient airport to reach Varkala Beach is Trivandrum International Airport (TRV), located around 41 km away. After arriving at the airport, you can take an auto to reach Varkala Beach.
Varkala Sivagiri Railway Station is the nearest railhead, approximately 3 km from the beach. The beach is well-connected by road, with regular bus services and taxis available.
ALSO SEE – Kovalam or Varkala- Which One is Better?
3. Marari Beach
Marai Beach is located in the fishing village of Mararikulam, 11 km from Alappuzha (Alleppey) town.
Marari Beach is the most peaceful beach in Kerala.
Marari Beach is known for its uncrowded and pristine environment. In contrast to some other well-known beaches, Marari provides a secluded and less commercialized setting, making it an ideal escape for those seeking tranquility.
You will find limited activities and attractions at Marari Beach, with no water sports to explore.
Marari Beach experiences warm and humid weather year-round. The optimal time to visit is between December and March, when the beach and its surroundings are predominantly dry.
Best things to do near Marari Beach
- Grand St. Andrew’s Basilica – You can cycle to the grand St. Andrew’s Basilica, with hymns and tales of a 16th-century vicar with miraculous powers.
- Mannarasala Sree Nagaraja Temple – Known for snake worship and features a revered priestess.
- Ayurvedic Treatments – Marari is known for its Ayurvedic resorts and wellness centers. Visitors can indulge in traditional Ayurvedic treatments and massages, promoting relaxation and rejuvenation amidst the natural surroundings.
- Cultural Immersion – You can immerse in the local culture by exploring nearby villages and interacting with the residents.
Location: Mararikulam, Cherthala, Kerala
How to reach Marari Beach
You can fly into Kochi, an hour and a half away by road. Kochi is well-connected with direct flights from major cities across India, providing easy access to this idyllic destination.
4. Thottada Beach
Thottada Beach is situated near Kannur on the Malabar Coast of Kerala and offers an unpretentious coastal experience similar to Marari Beach.
The beach is located approximately 2.5 km from NH 66, which connects Kannur city and Thalassery town. The distance is 7 km from Kannur city and 13 km from Thalassery.
The pristine 800-meter-long beach is perfect for sunbathing. You have the option to stay at the beach house or guest house located near the beach.
The beach is not heavily commercialized, making it a low-key destination for those looking to relax and enjoy the natural surroundings.
ALSO SEE – Top 6 Best Resorts in Kannur ( Updated)
Best things to near Thottada Beach
- Swimming – Enjoy a refreshing dip in the sea and embrace the soothing ambiance.
- Visit Dharmadam Island – a small private island just off the coast. You can access it during low tide and enjoy its secluded charm.
- Arakkal Museum – Visit the Arakkal Museum in Kannur, showcasing the history and artifacts of the Arakkal family, the Muslim royal family in Kerala.
- Fort St. Angelo’s Kannur – Explore Fort St. Angelo’s Kannur, a historic fort located in Kannur, offering insights into the region’s colonial past.
Location: Kannur district, Kerala
How to reach Thottada Beach
Thottada Beach, situated near Kannur, can be reached via Kannur (Main Station) or Thalassery railway stations, located about 16 km and 12 km away.
Kannur International Airport (CNN) is the nearest airport, approximately 25 km from Thottada Beach. From there, you can proceed to the beach by road.
5. Muzhappilangad Beach
Muzhappilangad Beach is the only drive-in beach in Kerala and longest drive-in beach in Asia where you can drive or cycle on the sand along its 2.5-mile-long stretch. Muzhappilangad Beach is recognized as the longest drive-in beach in Asia and has been featured by BBC among the top 6 best beaches for driving in the world .
The beach is located parallel to National Highway 66 between Kannur and Thalassery and approximately 7 km from Thalassery.
If you are a water sports enthusiast, you can indulge in activities such as paragliding, parasailing, sailing on a catamaran, or simply taking a dip in the sea.
Muzhappilangad is also known as the best beach for swimming in Kerala, thanks to the protective black rocks that shield the beach from deep currents, ensuring a safe and enjoyable swimming experience.
Best things to do near Muzhappilangad Beach
- Drive on the Beach – Enjoy a scenic drive with the Arabian Sea on one side and the golden sands on the other.
- Swimming – Enjoy a refreshing dip in the sea. Protective black rocks shield the beach from deep currents, ensuring a safe and enjoyable experience.
- Beach Picnics – Pack a picnic and relax on the beach. The wide stretch of sand provides ample space for families and friends to enjoy a meal with the sound of the waves in the background.
- Muzhappilangad Beach Festival – If visiting during the festival season, enjoy the Muzhappilangad Beach Festival, which features cultural events, music, and traditional performances.
Location: Muzhappilangad, Kannur, Kerala
How to reach Muzhappilangad Beach
The nearest railway stations are Kannur (Main Station) at about 16 km, and Thalassery at about 12 km. If you prefer air travel, the closest airports are Kannur International Airport, approximately 25 km away, and Calicut International Airport, around 102 km from Muzhappilangad Beach.
6. Bekal Beach
Bekal Beach is in the north of Kerala, approximately a 90-minute drive from Mangalore International Airport in Karnataka. Bekal Beach is popular for the Bekal Fort, its backwaters, and its scenic beauty.
Bekal Fort is one of the largest forts in Kerala and stands at an elevation of approximately 130 feet above sea level.
ALSO SEE- Best time to Visit Bekal (UPDATED)
Bekal Beach offers a variety of attractions, including 45 caves known as the Nityanandashram caves, forts, temples, mosques, and an aqua park, making it a diverse and interesting destination.
September to March is considered the best time to visit Bekal Beach. During this period, the weather is relatively pleasant, and you can enjoy the beach without extreme temperatures or heavy rainfall.
Best things to do near Bekal Beach
- Bekal Fort – Fort offers panoramic coastline views and has become an iconic symbol of Bekal.
- Bekal Fort Beach Park – A well-maintained space to relax and enjoy the coastal ambiance. It’s a popular spot for picnics and leisure activities.
- Bekal Hole Aqua Park – This park offers water-based recreational activities and is located near Bekal Beach.
Location: Bekal town, Kasaragod district, Kerala
How to reach Bekal Beach
The nearest airport is Mangalore International Airport (IXE), which is approximately 67 kilometers away. Visitors can fly into Mangalore and then travel to Bekal Beach by road.
Bekal has its railway station, Bekal Fort Railway Station. Kasaragod Railway Station is another nearby option. From these stations, you can take local transportation to reach Bekal Beach.
7. Cherai Beach
Cherai Beach is one of the most visited beaches and is located 25 km from downtown Kochi. You can reach the beach by taking a ferry ride from Kochi, followed by a short bus or auto-rickshaw journey through villages and paddy fields.
The journey to this destination is as delightful as the beach, making Cherai a perfect side trip for those seeking a coastal experience near Kochi.
ALSO SEE – 10 Best Beaches Near Kochi
The beach is around 10 km long and is ideal for swimming with mostly low tides and gentle waves.
The beach is famous for frequent dolphin sightings and is one of the rare locations where you can see both the backwaters and the sea in a single frame.
Best things to do near Cherai Beach
- Dolphin Spotting – Dolphin sightings are common off the coast of Cherai Beach. You can embark on boat rides to glimpse the Dolphins.
- Water Sports – You can enjoy various water sports activities, including parasailing, water skiing, and windsurfing.
- Enjoy Seafood – Cherai is known for its fresh seafood. You can savor local delicacies, including seafood, at beachside restaurants.
- Ayurvedic Resorts – Indulge in traditional Ayurvedic treatments and massages for relaxation and rejuvenation.
Location: Vypin Island, Cherai, Ernakulam district, Kerala
How to reach Cherai Beach
Cherai Beach is accessible through Cochin International Airport (COK), which is approximately 23 km away. After that, you can take a road journey from the airport to Cherai.
Aluva Railway Station is around 22 km from the beach.
8. Payyambalam Beach
Payyambalam Beach, situated merely 2 km from the Kannur railway station, is the least popular beach on this list. This characteristic makes it particularly appealing to those seeking relaxation and recreation away from the crowds.
The beach, extending for 4 Km, serves as an ideal place for self-reflection, providing a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Payyambalam Beach often presents attractive deals and discounts on accommodations for those seeking an extended stay, especially during the winter months. This makes it an enticing destination for those looking to experience the coastal beauty of Kerala without breaking the bank.
Best things to do near Payyambalam Beach
- Proximity to Attractions – Visit other attractions in Kannur, including the St. Angelo Fort and Muthappan Temple.
- Fitness Park – providing exercise equipment and spaces for outdoor fitness activities.
Location: Kannur district, Kerala
How to reach Payyambalam Beach
You can arrive at Kannur Railway Station, located about 3 km away from the beach.
The nearest air transportation option is Kannur International Airport (CNN), which is approximately 28 km from the beach.
9. Beypore Beach
Beypore is a quaint port town located 10 km south of Kozhikode district at the mouth of the Chaliyar River. Beypore port is one of the oldest ports in Kerala, from where trading to the Middle East was done.
This historic town is renowned for its ancient shipbuilding industry, notably the crafting of the Uru, a wooden dhow that served as a trading vessel during medieval times and is still utilized by Arabs for trade.
The Beypore shoreline is equipped with a port, boat yard, fish landing platform, breakwater project, marine ware shop, and ship-breaking units.
Best things to do near Beypore Beach
- Beypore Port – A prominent trading center and port for maritime activities
- Beypore Lighthouse – provides panoramic views of the Arabian Sea and the surrounding area. Climbing to the top of the lighthouse offers a unique perspective.
- Cultural Events – Beypore Beach hosts cultural events and festivals during the Beypore Uru Festival.
Location: Beypore town, Kozhikode district, Kerala
How to reach Beypore Beach
You can reach Beypore Beach through Calicut International Airport (CCJ), which is located around 23 km away. Then you can proceed to Beypore Beach by road.
Kozhikode Railway Station is the nearest railhead, about 10 km from the beach.
Looking for adding Wildlife along with Best beaches in Kerala?- Top 10 Best Wildlife Sanctuaries in Kerala
10. Kappad Beach
Kappad Beach is located 16 km away from Kozhikode in Kerala. Kappad Beach holds historical significance, as over 500 years ago, Vasco-da-Gama and his 170 men first set foot in Kerala at this very location.
Kappad Beach in Kerala is the only beach with the coveted Blue Flag Certification , an international eco-level tag, awarded after audits for strict compliance across 33 criteria by Foundation for Environment Education (FEE), Denmark.
The primary attraction of the beach is an 800-year-old temple located in close proximity to Kappad Beach.
If you’re seeking activities, consider boat rides or a refreshing swim in the pristine backwaters. You can engage in beach games with friends or family, and for an added charm to your beach tour, take a houseboat cruise down the river to Kappad.
Best things to do near Kappad Beach
- Dolphin’s Point – A specific area along the beach where you can spot dolphins playing in the sea.
- Children’s Park – Family-friendly destination that provides recreational options for children and families visiting the beach.
- Kozhikode Beach – Kozhikode Beach is close to Kappad Beach, where Vasco da Gama is believed to have landed.
Location: Kozhikode district, Kerala
How to reach Kozhikode Beach
Calicut International Airport (CCJ) is the nearest airport, approximately 27 km away. After arriving at the airport, you can choose road transportation to Kozhikode Beach.
Kozhikode Railway Station is the nearest railhead, about 2 km from the beach.
List of Beaches in Kerala
Kerala has more than 40 beaches. Here is the list of all the major Kerala beaches
Beaches in Kasargod
- Kappil Beach
- Bekal Beach
- Kanwatheertha Beach
- Thaikadappuram Beach
Beaches in Kannur
- Muzhappilangad Drive-In Beach
- Payyambalam Beach
- Thottada Beach
- Meenkunnu Beach
- Kizhunna Beach
Beaches in Wayanad
Beaches in Kozhikode
- Kozhikode Beach
- Beypore Beach
- Kappad beach
- Kolavi Palam Beach
- Thikkoti Lighthouse Beach
Beaches in Malappuram
- Padinjarekkara Beach
- Vakkad Beach
Beaches in Palakkad
Beaches in Thrissur
- Chavakkad Beach
- Thalikulam Snehatheeram Beach
- Nattika beach
Beaches in Ernakulam
- Cherai Beach
- Kuzhupilly Beach
- Munambam Beach
Beaches in Idukki
Beaches in Kottayam
Beaches in Alappuzha
- Alappuzha Beach
- Andhakaranazhi beach
Beaches in Pathanamthitta
Beaches in Kollam
- Kollam Beach
- Thirumullavaram beach
Beaches in Thiruvananthapuram ( Trivandrum)
- Kovalam Beach
- Varkala Beach
- Shankhumugham Beach
- Lighthouse Beach
- Thiruvambady Beach
- Samudra Beach
- Poovar Beach
- Vizhinjam Beach
- Chowara Beach
- Valiathura Beach
- Papanasham Beach
The best beaches in Kerala present a harmonious blend of natural beauty, cultural richness, and serene retreats along the shores of the Arabian Sea.
If you seek an immersive and customized exploration of these captivating beaches, choose from our Kerala Tour Packages. With premium accommodations, unparalleled comfort, and the assurance of a truly exceptional holiday experience, our offerings promise to make your getaway truly memorable.