Thekkady is an ideal tourist spot in Kerala where in the crisp, cool air of the Western Ghats you will experience the most enchanting holiday. Thekkady Boating conjures up images of elephants, unending chains of hill and spice scented plantations. In the Periyar forest of Thekkady is one of the finest wildlife reserves in India, and spread across the entire district are picturesque plantations and hill towns that hold great opportunities for treks and mountain walks and the tourist places in Thekkady include Periyar Lake, Kumili, Murikkady , Pandikuzhi , Chellarkovil , Vandiperiyar and Gavi in Kerala which is known as Trekkers paradise .
Periyar Tiger Reserve, set in the mountains district of Idukki, is India’s finest and most picturesque wild life reserve.
Boating in Thekkady
A cruise through the waters of Periyar lake around which the wild -life sanctuary is situated is covered in the Boating in Thekkady and offers a soul – stirring pleasant experience and the boat service operated by the Kerala Tourism Development Corporation (KTDC) and the Forest Department is of one-and-half hours duration.
Boating in Thekkady – Timing
The new timing of the boating in Thekkady is as follows:
7.30 A.M. to 9 A.M.
9.30 A.M. to 11 A.M.
11.15 A.M. to 12.45 P.M.
1.45 P.M. to 3.15 P.M.
3.30 P.M. to 5 P.M.
ALSO SEE – Top 25 Best Places to visit in Kerala
Boating in Thekkady – Cost for Indian & Foreign Adults and Children and Sightseeing Options
|Item||Rate in Indian Rupees|
|Indians – Entry Fee||500|
|Foreigners – Entry Fee||500|
|Indian Student – Entry Fee||15|
|Foreign Student – Entry Fee||180|
|Boating – Adults||255|
|Boating – Children||85|
Do note that there is an option to do online booking of Thekkady Boat Tickets at http://ktdc-boating.com/ as well . Kindly note there is no option to book / check availability over phone as well with anyone in Thekkady and you can book tickets from the counter in Thekkady. However when you are doing online booking it is permitted only for 30 days from the date of booking
Boating in Thekkady – Instructions for Guests
1) Guest must produce the Unique Identification number along with the original id proof at check post for verification and issue of entrance ticket.
2) Entrance ticket issued from check post is required to avail boat boarding pass and any other Eco-tourism programs.
3) Guest shall report at the Entrance Check post at least one hour prior to boating time and at least half an hour prior to the boating time at the special online counter at Boat landing.
4) It is mandatory to wear life jackets while boating
5) E-Ticket will be sending to given email id if you are booking online ticket
6) Any person while inside Periyar Tiger Reserve, leaving litters; smoking & consuming alcohol in public; illegally entering forests; speeding vehicles; blowing horns; playing music systems; parking vehicles outside the parking zone; feeding, teasing, disturbing wild animals; keeping pet animals; unauthorised trekking and picnicking; keeping firearms, wildlife traps, poisonous or other substances injurious to wildlife; causing fire in Periyar Tiger Reserve, breaching the lawful directions of the park staff on duty will be fined suitably and/or penalised as per the provisions of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972 or as deemed fit.
7) CBET programs are subjected to minimum people requirement, Otherwise minimum charge is applicable.
8) Please obey the instructions of Boat staff / Officers on duty
9) Please keep the valid entrance ticket always with you (issued from check post against your Unique Identification number) for verification by forest officials
10) The Ticket may be cancelled without any prior notice if any Administrative contingency occurs
11) Cancellation policy apply for all online bookings
12) Wildlife sighting is a chance, be patient and silent during boat cruise.
What you may see in Thekkady Boating ?
The first and foremost activity of a tourist in Thekkady is Boating in the Lake around wild life sanctuary. One can see the wild animals along the sides of the lake . KTDC and Forest Departments are operating the Boat Services around the laske and there are daily 5 Trips and each trips is of two Hours around the lake.
The reserve covers 777 Sq. Km of area and is made up of diverse habitat which includes mainly tropical evergreen, semi-evergreen forest and moist deciduous forest, grasslands and eucalyptus. The Periyar Wild Life Santury was declared a Tiger Reserve in 1978. Attracted by its geomorphology, diversity of wild life and scenic beauty, visitors come from all over the world. The major tourist attraction of Thekkady Wildlife sanctuary, are the herds of wild elephants and baby elephants that come down to play in the lake. This is a unique sanctuary in India where one can have the unforgettable and close experience with wildlife from the safety of the boat. There are about 2000 species of flowering plants, 145 varieties of Orchids, 35 species of mammals, namely elephants, Gaur (Indian Bisorn), Leopard, Tiger, Barking Deer, Bear, Nilgiri Langur and the highly endangered monkey Lion tailed Macaque.
The diverse collection of 45 reptiles species which includes the famous King Cobra, Russels, Viper, Fresh water Tortoise. Also 27 Amphibians has been recorded. Periyar is also rich habitat for Birds. More than 320 species of birds have been identified namely, the Malabar Parakeet, Waynad Laughing Thrush, Ruforus Babbler and the endangered Great Malabar Hornbill, the state bird of Kerala.